Princess Juliana International Airport ( St. Maarten)
Built in 1942, initially as a US military airstrip during World War II, Princess Juliana International Airport (PJIA was transformed into a civil airport in 1943. The first civil flight was carried out by Royal Dutch Airline KLM with the "Kolibrie" on December, 3 1943.
In 1964, the Airport was remodeled and relocated. A new terminal building and an operational Control Tower were constructed; the runway angle was changed to a heading of 090/270 degrees with a length of 1400 meters.
A-340 Air France landing at St Maarten...Cockpit view...